- Baleària has scheduled new high-speed services between Barcelona and the ports of Ciutadella (Menorca) and Alcúdia (Mallorca) during the summer months, between 4 July and 11 September.
- Former Irish Ferry vessel OSCAR WILDE is to be renamed GNV ALLEGRA
- The EUROPEAN ENDEAVOUR will be renamed FINBO CARGO and operate Tallinn to Helsinki for Eckerö Line.
- La Méridionale will submit an offer for the Public Service contract for ferry services between mainland France and Corsica. The company will not tender with Corsica Linea but will go solo.
- Balearia’s VISEMAR ONE has been renamed HEDY LAMARR.
- During two weeks Hellenic Seaways ro-pax NISSOS CHIOS will be used by Africa Morocco Link on Algeciras-Tanger Med. Then she will be chartered for 3 months by the Baleria for the route Dénia-Ibiza-Palma.
- Although not a ferry, we would like to inform our readers that Hurtigruten has ordered a third expedition cruise vessel.
Cotunav’s Ro-Ro ULYSSES collided with container vessel CLS VIRGINIA off Corsica on 7 October. Reason unknown so far and Ferry Shipping News wants to leave to the experts to find out what has happened.
No deaths or injuries were reported and measures to deal with the oil spill were being undertaken.
- On 27 September Moby SPL have carried their 4 millionth passenger, since St. Peter Line merged with Moby SpA in 2016.
- TESO’s double-ender ferry SCHULPENGAT did not find a buyer. The vessel will be scrapped in Ghent, Belgium.
- Former SVEA DROTT, now the ANEMOS, is on her way to the Turkish scrapyards after more than a year of lay up.
- After three years on the Gothenburg-Fredrikshaven route STENA GOTHICA has returned home and started her regular service on the Baltic Sea again, accompanied by her sister vessel URD. Her place has been taken by STENA VINGA.
- A healthy economic development in the EU and growing trade have caused cargo volumes on DFDS’ routes from Klaipeda to Karlshamn and Kiel to increase. Therefore DFDS has decided to charter an extra ro-ro as from 6 October. It is the 2,191 lane meter MAESTRO UNIVERSE.
Attica Group Sees Increased Traffic Volumes In All Segments In First Half Year
Attica published its H1 results, which includes Hellenic Seaways for the first time since its acquisition.
+ Consolidated Revenue = EUR 131.68m (112.04m)
+ EBITDA = 8.81m (7.07m)
The Group’s traffic volumes, considering full consolidation of HSW only for June (1.6.2018 – 30.6.2018), increased to 2.05m pax (+32.5%), 278.71k cars (+27.0%) and 167.88k freight units (+14.5%).
Kongsberg Wins Contracts For Nine Hybrid Ro-Ro Vessels
Kongsberg Maritime has been awarded contracts with Nanjing Jinling Shipyard Co., to deliver power and hybrid systems to the nine ro-ro vessels ordered by Grimaldi Group.
The contract scope includes supply and integration of large battery systems, shaft generators, frequency converters and energy management systems.
- Wightlink’s hybrid car ferry, VICTORIA OF WIGHT, was officially named on Thursday 20 September by Her Royal Highness Sophie The Countess of Wessex.
- Transmediterranea’s new ferry VILLA DEL TEROR has been on sea trials and could be ready in a month.
- Ferry GALAXY has ended its charter with Africa Morocco Link (AML) and has left Algeciras bound for Trapani, Italy.
- CLdN Ro-Ro started to offer three direct calls between Rotterdam and Leixoes. Departure Leixoes: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday. Departure Rotterdam Monday, Wednesday, Friday.