From an interview with Pierre Mattei in Corse Matin (in French) we highlight the following topics, which we think are relevant.
- Corsica Ferries started 50 years ago in May 2018, with the route Livorno-Bastia.
- 6% growth in passengers (3.8 million) in 2017.
- In December the management acquired 100% of the shares.
- New route from Toulon to the Balearic Islands starting April 21 is a testimony to Corsica Ferries’ flexibility and optimisation of the fleet. Quote: “Market analyses can never beat real experience.”
- Corsica Ferries is still waiting for the €85 million, attributed by the Administrative Tribunal of Bastia in connection to the Public Service Delegation of 2007/2013.
- New for this summer will be the possibility for guests to chose their cabin.
- Quote (regarding the Public Service) “Too often the question is about WHO is going to operate a public service route, rather than asking questions about the public service itself.”
- What is a fair system? “A system which allows fair competition between the different operators, and which doesn’t hinder the development of other routes.”
- Is public money a necessity? “Yes, if the loss of income (off-season..) is proven.” Politicians have to decide which routes are vital, and which aren’t.
Photo: Mike Louagie