January 10, 2019
CLdN’s Supersized Ro-Ro’s: A Success Story, And LNG-Ready
CLdN’s super 8,000 lane meter ro-ro CELINE is now more than one year in operation.
DNV GL has published a review. No time to read? Here are some bullet points:
- Larger vessels bring down the unit price.
- Bigger vessels work better on long hauls.
- Transfer the best of deep-sea technology to ro-ro, with new developments in thrusters, rudders and engines.
- Very maneuverable, in spite of their very large dimensions.
- Learning to operate two-stroke engines rather than the four-stroke units typical for the rest of the fleet
- Moving from low to medium voltage.
- Operating shaft generators at variable rotational speeds with frequency converters, rather than constant-speed engines.
- Operations with larger volumes and more decks.
- Ready for conversion to LNG when the time is right. “It’s not a case of ‘whether’, but rather of ‘when’.